12.16.2013

What's in my Makeup Bag - Holiday Edition

One of the best parts of the holiday season is being able to get all dolled up for parties and gatherings. I swear the best thing about a party is the getting ready part. At least for me. That being said, I wanted to share my favorite holiday look for this season. These are the things making their way into my makeup bag for festive outings. It comes together as a holiday classic. Shimmering golds and taupes with beautiful red lips. Eye catching in the most perfect way.



To start, I have my NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. I use this under my eyes and on any blemishes that need covering and blend it in. This step comes first because I've been using a powder foundation. Always safest to apply creams/liquids prior to powders (for the most part). Naturally, I move onto my  Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Mineral Makeup. I like a natural looking base that doesn't feel or look heavy. When I have a lot going on everywhere else, I like to keep the skin feeling nice a fresh which mineral makeup is perfect for. Once that's done, I move onto eyebrows. I'm still obsessed with my Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Brow Color. It's so easy to use with light and short feathery strokes to fill in the brows and keep them looking natural. It also stays in place so I never have to worry about it moving or fading anywhere. 

Moving onto the eyes. I love my Chanel cream eyeshadows or more technically - Chanel Illusion D'Ombre (so fancy schmancy). They're like a cross between a cream and a mousse texture. Once applied though, it's like a powder finish. I have been using this gold shimmery one called Apparence as a base for my eyeshadow by applying it to the lower eyelid area. It prolongs the life of my shadows and also gives my look more depth with the added layer beneath. To pair with that, I've been reaching for my Dior Holiday palette from last years collection. I know I know. It was limited edition and is no longer available, but I love it and it's what I've been using. The lightest shade to highlight the inner corners of my eyes. The gold on the first third of my eyelid. The bronzy taupe on the outer third and the blackish brown color along outer half of the lash line and outer 'V' of the eyes. That really glittery gold color I sometimes use to layer over top of the eyeshadows by dabbing a bit of it on the center part of the lids to give them a little pop. Then I'll usually take some more of that taupe color onto the lower lash line and some of that dark color onto the outer part of the lower lash line. If you're looking for similar colors, I think M.A.C has some colors that could substitute. Nylon for the lightest shade, Woodwinked for the gold, Patina for the taupe/bronze and Black Tied for the darkest shade. Then to finish off, I usually take my Lancome Artliner in Noir to line my eyes and I like to wing out the liner slightly as well. And last, but never least, out comes the YSL Babydoll mascara (my favorite) to coat my lashes. Tops and bottoms. 

For blush, I usually like to keep it minimal. Sometimes I won't use anything or sometimes I reach for a light bronzer to give my face a little dimension without adding too much color. But I do love to highlight for a holiday look so I've been carting around my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Palette. A little highlight on the tops of my cheekbones and right on my cupids bow for a pouty lip effect always adds the perfect oomph. Especially when we're going for a bold red lip. I always reach for my favorite Twinkling Ruby by Estee Lauder. It's got a slight shimmer and it's so comfortable to wear. I love this one. 

To top it all off, I love a good glitter nail polish and Butter London's West End Wonderland has to be my all time favorite ever for the holidays. Two coats and your nails will look like you've dipped them in glitter. And then just a little spritz of Chance by Chanel. How can you go wrong?!

Below are a few swatches for you. The Dior holiday palette on top. Chanel Apparence on the bottom left and the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders on the bottom right.


And a little snapshot of Bella below snooping around as I'm trying to get a good picture. Nosey little fella.


Hope you all enjoyed! Talk soon. Kisses, J

No comments :

Post a Comment