8.02.2013

10 Beauty Things I Would Tell My Younger Self

Yes, that is a picture of mini me in my cheering days. Awww. haha. Anyways, I will say that I'm not wise enough to really know it all. I'm not 100 and sitting here telling you "yes, this worked wonders and this is why I'm healthy and look like I'm 30!". Although I do hope that one day I will be able to say that! A girl can dream, right? I have, however, been alive for 25 years and have picked up a few things along the way. These are 10 things I would tell my younger self or things I'd pass on to a future daughter, etc. I'm sure this list will grow as I do, but here's what I've come to find thus far:

1. Don't over pluck your eyebrows. 
I was lucky enough to have a mom on top of this one! I've been threading my eyebrows before I ever even owned or thought of tweezers. But so many girls try plucking, get carried away and end up with thin brows and continued plucking like that will leave you will sparse brows that are a B----- to grow back. Seriously. Leave this to the experts if you're feeling weary.

2. Don't over cut your cuticles. 
So many of us take it upon ourselves to do at home mani pedis. Myself included. Problem is that most of us have no idea what we're doing! Most is self explanatory, but always be sure to treat your cuticles with care. Don't push them all the way back and cut them all off. They will just grow back worse and faster. Be gentle and only trim away the excess.

3. Don't forget to wash your face. 
I am such a stickler for this. Always wash your face! The worst thing is leaving your makeup on or even just being up and about all day long and just sleeping with all that dirt and grime on your face. Clogging up your pores and congesting your skin. Did I gross you out yet? I hope so. Wash your face! And yes, just like brushing your teeth, you have to wash it again in the morning.

4. Don't be mean to your skin. 
So many of us poke and prod and over exfoliate our skin when we're trying to fix a problem. Issue with that is all of those things can aggravate your skin and make the problems worse. Poking and prodding? Always a no. Exfoliation. Yes, in moderation!

5. Always always wear SPF. 
By now, just about everyone is aware of this, but don't be lazy! It should go on your face, your neck (!!!), your hands, arms - basically anything not covered. Don't forget any parts of your body. And this rule applies all year round, not just in the summer. Just because it's cold outside doesn't mean the sun is nonexistent. Always wear it. 

6. Never skip moisturizer. 
I used to just run out of the house after washing my face and never cared to moisturize. I also made the excuse that because I have oily/combo skin, it was ok to skip this. That is so wrong! Dry, normal, oily, whatever you are; you need moisturizer. You just need to find the right one for your skin type. This will keep your skin hydrated and healthy looking. I also believe that keeping skin moisturized with help in the antiaging process. It's never too early to start being proactive about it!

7. Embrace the things you cannot change. 
Curly hair, straight hair, size 6 shoe or size 9, pale skin or olive, short or tall - doesn't matter. Take actions for the things you want and can change, but always work to embrace the things you cannot. Those are the things that make you who you are and what makes each one of us different and interesting. 

8. Don't care about what other people think. 
You are who you are and if you love it, pshhh, who gives?!

9. Drink tons of water! 
Sigh. I'm still working on this one. If you're like me and you hate drinking water, just add fruit. I've been doing this for the past few weeks and although I'm still not great with it, it has been a huge leap from my pepsi addicted taste buds. I'll toss in things like sliced oranges, cucumbers, lemons, limes, mint leaves, etc. and leave the water to infuse overnight. Take it in bottles wherever you go and you'll be more enticed to take a sip of your healthy flavored water. Plus, you'll secretly feel fancy walking around with fruit dancing in your infused water while everyone else drinks their lackluster ordinary bottled water. Take that!

10. Ask this question to others and find out what everyone else has on their list. 
It's so interesting to hear what different people have to say. And who knows, you might learn something new! What would you tell your younger self in regards to health and beauty?

1 comment :

  1. Love this post - I definitely agree with all of them, and would tell all of these to my younger self! I'm guilty of not drinking enough water, even now... ;n; Bah!

    I also did a similar post here: http://junniku.blogspot.ca/2013/07/things-i-would-tell-young-me.html, haha! ^_^

    ReplyDelete